- Applying for a business number
- What information do I need?
- How long does it take to get a business number?
- What are the benefits of having a business number?
- How do I renew my business number?
- What happens if I don’t have a business number?
- How do I find out my business number?
- I’ve lost my business number. What do I do?
- How do I change my business number?
- Can I have more than one business number?
Learn how to get a business number in BC so you can start your business and begin operating legally. This guide will walk you through the process of applying for a business number with the provincial government.
Checkout this video:
Applying for a business number
To apply for a business number in BC, you need to:
1. Complete the Business Registration Application Form (BR1).
2. Include the $60 application fee.
3. Mail the completed form and fee to:
P.O. Box 9327 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria, BC V8W 9M1
What information do I need?
In order to obtain a business number for your business in British Columbia, you will need the following information:
* The legal name of your business
* The contact information for your business, including address, phone number, and email address
* The date your business began operating
* The type of business you are operating (sole proprietorship, partnership, or corporation)
* The names of the owners or partners in your business
* The products or services you offer
How long does it take to get a business number?
It usually takes a few days to get a business number after you’ve completed the application form and submitted it to the CRA.
What are the benefits of having a business number?
There are many benefits to having a business number, including:
– simplifying your interactions with government agencies
– making it easier to get business permits and licenses
– reducing the amount of paperwork you have to deal with
– improving your access to government programs and services
How do I renew my business number?
If you are renewing your business number, you can do so by visiting the Service BC website. You will need to provide your business number, as well as your contact information and the reason for renewing your business number. Once you have provided all of the required information, you will be able to submit your renewal request and pay the associated fees.
What happens if I don’t have a business number?
If you don’t have a business number, you may be subject to penalties from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). You may also miss out on certain government benefits and programs.
How do I find out my business number?
Business numbers are assigned by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). If you register your business with the CRA, they will provide you with a business number. You can also find your business number on correspondence from the CRA.
I’ve lost my business number. What do I do?
If you have lost your business number, you can follow these steps to get a new one:
1. Go to the Canada Revenue Agency website and select the “Register for a Business Number” option.
2. Enter your personal information and create a login.
3. Follow the instructions on the website to register for a business number.
How do I change my business number?
You can apply to change your business number (BN) by completing the Application for a Change of Business Number form and mailing it to the address provided on the form.
There is no fee to apply for a change to your BN.
If you have any questions about changing your BN, please contact the Business Registry at 1 866 660-3335 or [email protected]
Can I have more than one business number?
You can have more than one business number if your business has different legal entities, such as sole proprietorships, partnerships, or corporations. For example, you may need a business number for your sole proprietorship and another for your corporation. You would use the same business number for all your locations if your business is a franchised operation.